Saturday, May 2, 2009

Swine Flu and Health 2.0 - Opportunity to Push the Envelope?

Coincidentally, I have seen a lot of articles about Internet infectious disease surveillance over the past few weeks. Here are a few of the links that I have received:

A Reuters article that came out before the Swine Flu Outbreak

Story about Googles' efforts

Here's Google.org's site

It's beginning to look like medical schools should add an IT class to their curriculum. I didn't learn about anything more than searching indexed internet databases during my MD. I guess a lot of the learning in that area came after through interest and mentorship. If this is the way that medical care is going then should we be ensuring that more physicians are properly trained to utilize the tools at their fingertips?

Maybe it shouldn't be physicians at all? Maybe we aren't the group to lead this revolution...I know that we aren't typically at the cutting edge right now. I'd love to hear readers' thoughts on this topic...

No comments: