Saturday, April 10, 2010

Running a Randomized Controlled Trial - Ice is Nice

Well, after a long absence I'm back behind the wheel. I thought that an interesting chronicle would be the story of the early stages of a research study that is about to begin. As I write this I'm waiting to enroll the first patient in a study that will try to answer the question: Does cooling the soft tissue at a fracture site get people out of hospital faster?

The process of designing and funding this research has been long and hard. It's taken me a lot of time and effort to learn the tricks of the trade in clinical research, and I've only scratched the surface: most of the learning ends up being on-the-job training.

So, over the next few months I'll try and post a bit more often on this blog and the Financial Post blog to talk about the early stages of recruitment for the study and to muse on the similarities of research and entrepreneurship.

Glad to be back!

No comments: