Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Fought the Law: Article in Canadian Medical Association Journal

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/179/9/968

Before leaving Winnipeg to go to Ivey to complete the Health Sector MBA I was working 'nightfloat' shifts here in Winnipeg. That meant that I was working overnight and sleeping in the day on the Orthopedic Trauma Service at Health Science Centre. Although it can be really busy on-call, I had the luck of several nights of relative quiet. It gave me the time to record some thoughts that were born while I was shooting a puck around an outdoor rink that winter, listening yet again to CBC's Ideas on my iPod.

The program mentioned Parkinson's Law, and the description given immediately made me think of my life as a resident. I had a lot to say on the subject related to medicine, and so I started crafting a storyline in my head then and there. I refined it over the next few months and in June 2007 I put it down on 'paper'.

So, in this week's CMAJ it is published in the Salon section. I hope that you all enjoy it. I'm sure that some of you have heard me quote this law that states, 'tasks will fill the available time for their completion'. Read on in the CMAJ!

No comments: